Welcome to Top 5 Records! The weekly show-and-tell online hangout where we discuss our love of music and our “Top 5 Records” for particular occasions.
Whether we’re at the decks DJing a set at the party, manning the tape deck while driving on a cross-country road trip, commiserating with sad songs over a broken heart, or stranded on a lonely with nothing but music, each scenario calls for a different essential Top 5 records for THAT moment. What are your Top 5 Records for….?
There’s a magnetic allure in witnessing an artist or band reinterpret the work of another, as it offers a fresh perspective that both pays homage to the original and unveils new layers of creativity, fostering a sense of musical connection and discovery. Some of our deepest music appreciation comes when we connect the covers we love to their source of origin. Our theme for Volume 4 is “Covers” – original songs covered by other artists.
Brian’s Top 5 (link):
- “With a little help from my friends”, from the album “Woodstock” (1969) – Joe Cocker and the Grease Band
- “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, from the album “With a little help from my fewnds” (2014) – The Flaming Lips
- “She said, She Said”, from the album “The Big Come Up” (2002) – Black Keys
- “Blackbird” (2019) – Emma Stevens
- “For You Blue” (2016) – Dhani Harrison “Let it Be”
Bemsha’s Top 5 (link):
- Saturday in the Park (2007) – Luciano
- I Wanna Be Loved (1984) – Elvis Castello
- Brazil (1968) – Geoff and Maria Mulduar
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful World (1989) – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- La Bamba (1971) – Joe Loss and His Orchestra
Michael’s Top 5 (link):
- Both Sides Now (1967) – Judy Collins
- Disco Is (2016) – Syunsuke Ono
- Marina (1960) – Chiemi Eri
- かえり船 [Return Ship] / 月がとっても青いから / [Because the moon is so blue] (1962) – 和田弘とマヒナ・スターズ [Hiroshi Wada and Mahina Stars]
- Cruel to Be Kind (Nick Lowe) (1979) – Wilco