Welcome to Top 5 Records! The weekly show-and-tell online hangout where we discuss our love of music and our “Top 5 Records” for any particular occasion.
Whether we’re at the decks DJing a set at the party, manning the tape deck while driving on a cross-country road trip, commiserating with sad songs over a broken heart, or stranded on a lonely with nothing but music, each scenario calls for a different essential Top 5 records for THAT moment. What are your Top 5 Records for….?
We kick off this series and this first volume on the theme of our “Top 5 Records for “The Heart of Saturday Night’” – the records we play when we opt to stay home and hunker down with a cocktail and our back records rather than hit the bar or club. OR maybe it’s the top 5 we blast from the jukebox AT the bar. How do the music lovers and vinyl collectors amongst us like to enjoy our Saturday Nights? For us, it’s counting down our Top 5!
Brian’s Top 5 (link):
- The Heart of Saturday Night (1974) – Tom Waits
- Getz Au Go-Go (1964) – Stan Getz & Astrud Girlberto
- Cry of Love (1971) – Jimi Hendrix
- In a Silent Way (1969) – Miles Davis
- Exile on Mainstreet (1972) – Rolling Stones
Bemsha’s Top 5 (link):
- Pure Gabby (1978)- Gabby Pahinui
- Penguin Cafe Orchestra (1981) – Penguin Cafe Orchestra
- Heroes (1977) – David Bowie
- Thelonious Monk Solo (1965) – Thelonious Monk
- Music for Airports (1978) – Brian Eno
Michael’s Top 5 (link):
- Planet Waves (1974) – Bob Dylan
- It’s Album Time with (2014) – Todd Terje
- Chiemi Eri & The Delta Rythem Boys (1983) – Chiemi Eri & The Delta Rythem Boys
- Paraiso (1978) – Harry Hosono and The Yellow Magic Band
- Sleep (2015) – Max Richter